Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kasper 2.0

In this, my last blog for my Online Journalism class, I am going to recap some of the events and issues I have been blogging about for the last 4 months. I do so to offer you, the reader, a quick overview of the content of my blog, so far.

At the same time I will use this opportunity to reflect on the events and issues I think have made the biggest impact on me throughout my semester in Miami. Hopefully, by the end of this blog I will have outlined a couple of themes and issues that I can use as fuel for my future blogging ventures.

I started out by writing about the many different types of blogs out there and the differences we as readers should know about. Blogs range from personal diaries to hot topic political debates. If you want to be taken seriously, even as a blogger you must follow the guidelines for journalistic reporting: Check your sources, always put content over everything else, and be truthful.

The serious blogs out there serve as a very good supplement to your daily news. This was the subject of another blog. And yet another one talked about how newsrooms in South Florida and worldwide are being redefined by new media and convergence.

I spent some time blogging about web 2.0 and the emergence of social networks. My class created the CommTogether network for students and faculty at the UM Comm. School.

The way in which new media and social networking is changing political campaigning was an interesting fact I also shared with you, along the way.

As my website took shape I shared with you the steps I was taking to create it and my amazement with how easy it is to create a pretty decent website, on your own.

One of the topics that have always interested me is the civil rights struggle. I enthusiastically reported about The Civil Rights Panel at UM during Comm. Week. Another topic that made its way into my blog was the political involvement of students - or the lack of, at the University of Miami.

Being Danish I felt that I needed to touch on Danish media’s handling of, and part in, the reemergence of the Mohammed crisis. This lead to a discussion of the boundaries of free speech in a democracy.

These were some of the topics I have found worthy of a blog during the past couple of months. Though I am no longer obligated to keep this blog I urge you to check back every once in a while. Because since I can now blog about anything I want, there is just no telling what direction this blog will take.

One thing is certain, though. I will keep on keeping on…

Thank you for reading! (Chris and Marie)

No comments: