Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Time to say Goodbye

So, my time at the University of Miami is running out and I will be going back to Copenhagen in Denmark in about two weeks. This semester I have been studying at UM as an exchange student and since I now am done with my studies it is time to bid adieu.

My reason for going to UM was to get an insight into the field of communication, and especially journalism. Being an English major, with a minor in Film and Media Studies , I had some theoretical knowledge about journalism, but no practical experience.

I am proud to say that now I do have some practical experience! Apart from learning how to produce articles and video stories, I have even learned how to create websites. And all this in just one class, in one semester.

My Online Journalism class at UM offers the students a hands on approach to new media journalism that best can be compared to actually working for a real life news organization. And what better way to learn a trade than by actually doing it.

I have learned so much from this class and been inspired to pursue a career in journalism. What I find to be most valuable of all the things I have learned is, well…All the things I have learned.

The fact that I can now produce a story using various new and “old” media, and publicize the content on my own webpage is extremely liberating. I do not have to rely on others to express myself.

I cannot see how these new skills should not be an advantage, whatever field I end up working in.

Another “child” of my Online Journalism class is this blog. I will continue to post on it and hopefully make it grow into a full grown blog about journalism.

But as of two weeks from now I will be posting live from Copenhagen instead of Miami.

Anyone reading this blog please leave comments for me, as I would like to know who you are.

Thanks.

No comments: